We have now established the classes that will be available for you to take during this coming Fall period at the VWC, and these can be seen on the Club's web site. All of these classes will run at some time between the beginning of September and the end of December. We will have new classes available for the Winter period (January to end of April) following that.
Please note that we have also instituted a new numbering scheme for classes as down below:
- First Character indicates a general category of the training:
- C - Carving
- D - Demonstrations
- E - Equipment Operation
- G - General Training
- P - Project Made
- T - Turner
- Second two digits provide a serial number for the course in the range of 01 through 99
- Third digit indicates the experience level of the course:
- 1 - Introduction or "beginner" - no special skills other than shop certification is required
- 2 - Intermediate - Additional expertise in the operation of the equipment is required and admittance to a class may require instructor's approval
- 3 - Advanced - the students must be very proficient in the operation of the equipment and use of techniques covered in the course
Please see the main navigation under Education for all of the courses currently offered. Each page details the contents of the training sessions, the name of the Instructor(s), training session schedule, as well as the costs of the course.
Please note that signing up for classes will begin on Thursday September 1st and that you (or your representative) must pay for any class you wish to take, as well as any additional charges for materials (where these are known in advance), in full at the time of signing. Additional costs for each class are shown with the information for that class on the web site. Where there is no extra charge that is shown as a zero charge, but there are some classes, where by their nature, the additional costs for materials are yet to be determined (shown as TBD). That would be done with the instructor at the commencement of the class.
Please also pay particular attention to the dates that the class you wish to sign up for will run, as the policy of the VWC is that there are no refunds if you miss a session because of prior commitments or a clash of engagements etc. In addition to that, by signing for a class that you later find you are unable to attend, you deny a fellow member of the chance to take one of the places, which for the most part are in great demand.
Please refer to the Fall 2011 Education Calendar at the right. The calendar provides you with a color-coded scheduling of all courses offered by The Villages Woodworker's Club. the calendar process has many capabilities:
- A capability for your to receive email notification prior to the start of a class. You may want to use this capability after you have registered for a class to serve as a reminder.
- The calendar is displayed in the list format. You can change this to the traditional calendar format by selecting the icon with the numeral 31 at the top of the list.
- You can receive notices by email of any new courses by selecting the orange icon located at the lower right-hand corner of this panel or by selecting the orange icon at the top right-hand area of the Course Schedule Calendar to the right. These notifications will be for new courses as well as when a course is closed out when the class size has been reached.
- You can also receive an email reminder for each course, by selecting the course from the calendar and then selecting "email the event to me" from the description panel. This will send you an icon that will be placed on your personal calendar in Outlook. Note that this is available for users of Microsoft software only.
During the initial signing up and for the first two weeks of that, any member will be limited to a maximum of two classes for which they can sign to give chance that others may also find spaces available to them on some course or other. After that period, any member wishing to do so may sign up for additional classes if spaces still remain.
To sign up you (or another member on your behalf) have to do so at the front desk located in the main entrance hall of the shop . Telephoning in a request for a class is not an option at this time.
As we progress through the Fall period there are often additional classes that become available for you to take. As and when this happens members will be notified, but it is also important that you check the web site on a regular basis for new and additional information regarding classes.
Once again I would like to thank all of those instructors who have been kind enough to give of their time to allow us to run the wide varied and range of courses that we do for members' benefits and would ask that anyone else who feels that they are able to offer their services in this way by teaching a class for us get in touch with me so we can discuss what would need to be done to set you up as a club instructor.